Tuesday, May 16, 2017

The Bad Bugs in Your Gut

Anyone who follows my blog or group on facebook knows that I am constantly doing research on food and health. I am almost done the book Eat Dirt by Dr. Josh Axe and had to share something that I came across in it that I found so interesting. We've all heard that our gut should be comprised of good bacteria but sometimes bad bacteria can take over which causes what is now known as leaky gut. There was a small paragraph sectioned off in this book that gave a little description of this and I wanted to share it with you.

"  HOW PATHOGENIC BUGS CHANGE OUR BEHAVIOUR - All microbes learn, grow, adapt - and these adaptations actually have a hand in controlling our behavior. One thing they have the biggest control over is our food cravings. Bacteria help themselves survive by influencing us to choose foods that feature the particular nutrients they grow best on, rather than just taking whatever comes along. Some bacteria love fat, others love sugar. The bacteria are able to manipulate our feelings and cravings by changing neural signals along the vagus nerve. In this way, our gut bacteria literally teach us what to eat - they're able to alter our taste receptors, release toxins that make us feel bad, and reward us with chemicals that make us feel good - all in the service or their own survival and population growth."

That just hit me like lightning. How many times have I grabbed for something that I didn't really need but wanted to badly and then felt so good after taking a bite. Little rascals! I'll tell you that paragraph really hit me and made me realize that our body will give us all the signs when it needs help but are we actually listening to what we want to hear or what we need to hear. I'm listening now girl....message received. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment